One Crazy Week

March 3rd, 2015 mscarr16

So a few weeks ago, I had a totally crazy six days. The Friday before Valentine’s Day, I left for Edinburgh with two girls that I had just met, and then, I got back Sunday night, went to classes on Monday, and then left Monday night for Venice! That’s the short version, so now for the long one:

Edinburgh was absolutely gorgeous! We took the train there, and because I had bought a railcard last semester (an amazing investment) my roundtrip tickets on the train were around $125. That seems expensive, considering a lot of my flights have been about half that price, but I was able to catch the train from Leicester City Centre instead of taking a bus/train to the airport, flying there, and then repeating the process in reverse on the way home. So, we got to Edinburgh at around 4pm, checked into our hostel, which was directly across from the train station, and then went out to eat! And I actually ordered HAGGIS. I know. Organs cooked in intestines? I didn’t think I would either. But I cheated a little… I ordered fried haggis. To be totally honest, I think anything fried has to be pretty good. And here is the evidence:

The next day, we did a free walking tour, which was awesome! There are these free walking tours in most major cities in the world, and they’re run on donations (so not completely free) but they’re great for getting an overview of the city and getting an idea of what you’d like to check out next.

Some pictures from that day:

Edinburgh Castle from the entrance.

Edinburgh Castle from the entrance.

Edinburgh Castle from the road below- it's expensive to go into the castle but the view from outside is just as beautiful.

Edinburgh Castle from the road below- it’s expensive to go into the castle but the view from outside is just as beautiful.

Edinburgh at night.

Edinburgh at night.

I also went on a walking tour on my own that night, a “Haunted” tour, which wasn’t too scary but was very interesting. It talked about the folklore and myths surrounding Edinburgh, and a little about the dark side of the city!

The streets of Edinburgh were so beautiful.

That night we tried to go to a pub to listen to live music, but we didn’t end up staying long because the girls that I went with thought it was too loud, which was fine with me, as I was exhausted!

The next morning, we got up early and climbed Arthur’s Seat! It was absolutely gorgeous and a pretty easy hike, but it was very windy! It was worth it for the view. IMG_3820 (1) IMG_3848 (1) IMG_3820

So after that, we caught the train back, I quickly finished my work for seminar the next day, and fell asleep at 9pm.

More on Venice later!

Michaela xx