Oh, the places you’ll go!

February 12th, 2015 mscarr16

This semester, I actually only have class three days a week, and barely that. The trade-off is that there’s more reading, but having less class hours is really nice. So, to take advantage of that, I’m doing a ton of travelling! This weekend I’m going to Edinburgh, Scotland, for Valentine’s Day, instead of being sad that I’m an ocean away from the guy I wish I was spending it with! I met another international student at a tea hosted by the Chaplaincy at the beginning of the semester, and this past weekend we realised we were going to be all alone on Valentine’s Day. Instead of spending the day moping around, missing my boyfriend back home, I thought that it would be cool to go exploring.

Even though I’ve lived in the UK for nearly 6 months now and seen quite a bit of England (Stonehenge, Glastonbury, Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, London… and a lot of countryside on the train!) and Ireland (Shannon, Cobh, Cork, Tralee, Dingle, and Dublin) I’ve never been to Scotland. So instead of sitting around eating chocolate and watching chick flicks, we decided to go to Edinburgh! There’s apparently loads to see, and we haven’t quite planned out what to see yet, but we’ve booked tickets and accommodation, so we’ll figure it out on the 5-hour train ride there! I’m leaving directly after my class tomorrow which will be a tight connection, but worth it (hopefully!).

This semester, I also have plans to go to Venice (for Carnevale!) and stay with one of the best friends I made last semester, and then later in the semester she and I are going to Amsterdam to visit another friend! Then from there, I’ll be heading to Berlin and Prague with two friends, one from last semester and one from high school. After that, because there are no classes in April, I’m thinking I’ll go to Vienna and Budapest before meeting my family in Italy for their spring break! Having a month off for the Easter holidays is quite nice, and it looks like all of my papers will be due before then, so I might even be able to go home after April. The scheduling is a bit funny here; we have classes through March, nothing in April, and then it looks like I have four classes in May, but only in the first two weeks. But all of the assessments are due before then, so I’m not quite sure what the classes are for! Next week I’m planning to figure out what the deal is with that, so I can plan on coming home.

Another task I’ve been trying to cross off my to-do list this week is applying for jobs this summer. It’s a pain trying to do it while in classes and not on campus, but the Holy Cross Career Center has been really helpful. I had a video conference with them at the tail end of the year, and they always answer my emails right away! So that’s how my week has shaped up, and hopefully the weekend will be great!