Dublin for Halloween

November 18th, 2014 mscarr16

For Halloween this year, I went to Dublin with a group of international students, and it was definitely the most unconventional Halloween weekend I’ve ever had! First of all, getting to Dublin (without flying, mind you) took nearly twelve hours- we left before sunrise and when we finally checked into our hostel it was dark out. We took a coach through the country and then a ferry took us straight into Dublin. The ferry was actually fun (for me- although I didn’t get seasick like nearly everyone else!) but it was super windy.

IMG_2371The view was also beautiful- we were sitting in the front of the boat looking out onto the water and as we approached the port I managed to get one (foggy) good snap.

While in Dublin, we went on a pub crawl (Halloween themed, of course!), toured the Guinness Factory, and took a bus tour around the famous sights of the city, including Trinity College and the Book of Kells.

We weren’t allowed to take pictures of the actual book, but in the Long Room (really just a long room- they aren’t joking) I managed to get a cool shot of the ceiling. One thing I really loved about Ireland (and am enjoying every day about England) was how OLD everything was. It really seems steeped in history, and it’s pretty cool to see. A lot of the building we’ve seen are older than the United States! That isn’t even that shocking, but I’ve never really though about how new everything at home is.

The Long Room

The Long Room

I’m getting excited to go home though- being at a huge uni is making me appreciate how small and tightly knit Holy Cross is- I miss seeing my friends walking across the Hoval or in the gym. Leicester is big enough that it feels like I’m living in a city when I’m just in the middle of the campus. The campus itself is pretty small, but my classes are huge and everything is much larger.

Dublin was quite the adventure, and I’m definitely planning to go back to Ireland- I’m actually flying out of Shannon to go home for Christmas! Because there’s no Thanksgiving here, people get ready for Christmas right after Halloween, so we’re singing Christmas carols in choir and there are decorations everywhere!

One last thing I loved about Dublin:

The horse-drawn carriages!

The horse-drawn carriages!

xx Michaela